What Do I Do If My Car Fails Its MOT?

What Do I Do If My Car Fails Its MOT?

“What do I do if my car fails its MOT” is a term many motorists find themselves searching for online. Although seeing your car fail its MOT can be very stressful, there are things you may be able to do to put things right. This is so that you don’t have to start looking for a replacement vehicle. 40% of drivers see their vehicles fail an MOT each year, but not all of these have to bid farewell to them. Help is always available when you need the services of an MOT test centre in Barnsley.

Keep hold of your VT30 certificateMOT Centre Barnsley

If your vehicle does fail its MOT, you will receive a VT30 certificate. This is also known as a ‘Refusal of an MOT Test Certificate’. It will feature the vehicle’s details, your MOT test number and a list of the reasons why it failed to pass. You will need to keep hold of this document for when you have your vehicle retested. Or if you decide to make an appeal.

Retesting your vehicle

You can retest your vehicle once you have addressed the reasons why it originally failed its MOT. Since you won’t be able to legally drive your car again until you have a valid MOT certificate, you will need to have all the relevant repairs carried out before the retest.

Partial retests

You can often leave your vehicle at the test centre to undergo repairs. If the vehicle is repaired within less than ten working days, you may be able to have a partial retest carried out. During a partial retest, only the issues that feature on your VT30 certificate will be tested. Alternatively, you can choose to take your vehicle for repairs somewhere else. You can then return it to the test centre within ten working days for a partial retest. The fee for a partial retest is normally around half the cost of the original test. If more than 10 working days elapse and you need a retest, you will need to pay for a full MOT. 

Can I drive a car that has failed its MOT?

You can only drive a vehicle that has failed its MOT if you’re taking it to be repaired or for an MOT. The vehicle still needs to be roadworthy. If it has major faults and it’s too dangerous to go on the roads, you won’t be able to drive it anywhere. Don’t risk doing so as this is illegal and you could face a hefty fine and a driving ban as punishment. 

Can I appeal a failed MOT?

If you don’t think your vehicle has been failed fairly, you may be able to appeal the decision. It’s best to talk to the test centre about the reasons for the failure first. If you do think that your vehicle should have passed, don’t make any repairs or modifications. These could make your appeal void.

How do I appeal an MOT failure?

If you want to appeal, you’ll need to complete a complaint form, which you’ll need to send to the DVSA within 14 days of the date the original test occurs. You may then be able to make an appointment to retest your vehicle. You will need to pay the full fee for an MOT test. However, if your appeal is successful and your vehicle passes this time, you will receive a full or at least a partial refund.

MOT Centre in BarnsleyWhy are MOTs so important?

Now you know the answers to the question “What do I do if my car fails its MOT?”, you may be wondering why MOTs are so important in the first place. The main purpose of an MOT is to ensure that your vehicle meets the minimum safety standards set out by the government. During an MOT, essential components like lights, brakes, tyres and steering are tested. This is to ensure they are in good working condition. MOT tests also assess the environmental impact of vehicles as well as their overall roadworthiness.

An MOT test is also a form of preventative maintenance. It allows you to identify and attend to issues before they worsen and cost you more. MOT testing also exists to ensure all the vehicles on the road meet specific safety standards. It reduces the chances of accidents resulting from vehicle malfunctions.

How long does an MOT certificate last for?

An MOT certificate lasts for a year. The date that your certificate is no longer valid is printed on it. If you are found driving a vehicle that doesn’t have a valid MOT, you may face a fine of up to £1,000. You can get an MOT for up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and still keep the same renewal date.

The leading MOT test centre in Barnsley

At Wyatt Auto Services, we have a reputation as the leading MOT test centre in Barnsley. We can help you return your car to the road both safely and legally. Our team is made up of highly trained mechanics with years of experience to draw upon. We are able to carry out MOT testing on all makes and models too, carrying out work to the highest standards. We do all that we can to ensure your experience with us is as simple and straightforward as possible, helping to remove the stress that can come with car maintenance. 

Contact us

If you’re still wondering “What do I do if my car fails its MOT?” or you need to find an MOT test centre in Barnsley, get in touch. Call us on 01226 979 087 to discuss your requirements with the team. Alternatively, complete the form on our website and we will get back to you as promptly as we can.  Book your car into our test centre today.

Wyatt Auto Services is a registered company in England.

Registered Number: 6341675

VAT Number: 916070443. Website design and marketing by jask Media Ltd.

© Wyatt Auto Services 2024. All Rights Reserved