Keeping a SORN car at home or on the driveway

Keeping a SORN car at home or on the driveway

Do you plan to keep your car off the road for an extended period of time? If so, you’ll need to register it as SORN via the DVLA website or by phone or post. Whilst this means you won’t have to pay tax on it, you should keep in mind that you won’t be able to drive it at all on public roads without facing a steep fine. Read on to learn more about keeping a SORN car at home or on the driveway. 

What is SORN?

SORN is an “Statutory Off Road Notification” and informs the DVLA that your car will be kept off the road. Once you have registered your vehicle as SORN, you can’t drive it on a public road without facing a harsh penalty. This is because it won’t be taxed and possibly not even insured. It must be kept on private land such as in a garage or on a driveway. 

Why would I declare my car off road?mechanic car inspections

There are many possible reasons why you might consider declaring your car off road. For example:

You’re going to university and don’t need to use it

You’re only going to use your classic car during the summer months

You’ve bought a car to do up and it isn’t roadworthy yet

The insurance or tax on the car has expired and you have not renewed it yet

You want to break down the car for parts before scrapping it

Whatever the reason for wanting to keep your car off the road, you can’t simply stop paying vehicle tax. Even though you won’t be driving the car, you still need to pay it unless you’ve registered it with a SORN. If you stop paying the tax without declaring it as SORN, you’ll receive an automatic £80 fine. Whilst you might be able to reduce this fine if you appeal, it could rise to £1,000 if it’s unpaid. DVLA will refund any months of tax that remain on your car once you apply for a SORN. 

Where can I keep a SORN car?

You must keep a SORN car on land that is privately owned. This could be a garage, driveway or even a garden. Garages and lockups are normally preferred since this keeps the car protected from the effects of the elements and theft. You can’t keep it on public land like the road outside your house. Doing so can land you with a hefty fine of up to £2,500. 

Whilst your car is registered as SORN, you should do all you can to keep it in good condition. This will ensure that it is roadworthy when the time comes to drive it on public roads again. Before you drive your car again, make sure it undergoes a service and MOT. At Wyatt’s, we can provide MOTs and servicing in Barnsley at highly competitive prices.

Can I drive a SORN car?

Once you’ve declared your car as SORN, you’re not allowed to drive it on public roads. The only time you can do this is if you’re driving it to an MOT test that has been booked in advance. If the police stop you as you’re driving there, you’ll need to show proof that the test has been pre-booked. If you want to drive your car again, you will need to make sure it’s taxed, insured and has an MOT. When you pay tax for the vehicle, the DVLA will cancel the SORN. When keeping a SORN car at home or on the driveway, don’t risk driving it at any point. Driving an untaxed, uninsured car can land you in hot water, leaving you facing prosecution, including a hefty fine. 

car servicing at wyatt auto servicesDoes a SORN car need to be insured? 

Whilst you don’t need to insure a SORN car, it’s advisable since it could still be damaged or stolen. Even though you won’t be driving it and it’s being stored on your private land, it could still come to harm. Most people choose to insure their SORN cars for at least fire and theft. It’s important that you don’t confuse the terms SORN and ‘off the road’. If your car is off the road but you haven’t declared it as SORN, it must be insured. This is due to the  Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) rule that was brought in by the government in 2011. If you haven’t registered your car as SORN, you’ll need to insure it. If you don’t, the DVLA could send you an Insurance Advisory Letter which will order you to insure the car or face a fixed penalty notice.

MOTs and servicing in Barnsley 

Once you’re ready to drive your car again after a period off the road, you’ll need to ensure that it’s safe and roadworthy. One way to do this is to take it to a local garage for servicing. At Wyatt’s, we can carry out both full and interim services for cars of all makes and models. Our modern auto centre is fully equipped with state-of-the-art technology and equipment, allowing us to carry out car servicing to the highest standards. Our prices are some of the most competitive in the area too, which means you can expect to receive a real value for money service when you choose Wyatt’s.

Contact us 

Keeping a SORN car at home or on the driveway is a wise move if you don’t plan on driving it for an extended period of time. For servicing or MOTs in Barnsley, look no further than Wyatt Auto Services. Call us on 01226 979 087 or send us a message via the website to book our car into our fully equipped auto centre. 

Wyatt Auto Services is a registered company in England.

Registered Number: 6341675

VAT Number: 916070443. Website design and marketing by jask Media Ltd.

© Wyatt Auto Services 2024. All Rights Reserved